Apple and Dijon Glazed Ham - Perfect for Christmas!
At the centre of the classic Kiwi Christmas dinner is a delicious ham, and we all know that apple, mustard and ham is a formidable combination!
- ½ New Zealand cooked ham, butt end
- Whole cloves
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup marmalade
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a roasting dish with foil and baking paper.
- Remove the ham skin
- Peel off the ham skin by gently pushing your fingers between the skin and fat. Leave as much fat on as you possibly can.
- Score the ham
- Using a sharp knife, score parallel lines in the fat, almost down to the meat. Place ham in the prepared roasting dish. Stick whole cloves in the ham fat working in straight lines and as close together as you wish.
Place all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and place over low heat. Simmer until syrupy. Spoon glaze over the ham as evenly as possible. Pour a little water into the bottom of the roasting dish. Place ham in the oven and cook for about 40 minutes until the glaze is sticky and well coloured. Baste the ham once or twice during glazing.
The sweet tangy flavours of this glaze go well with ham. Lining the roasting dish with foil and baking paper, helps to prevent any sticky, burning glaze stick hard to the bottom of the dish.