Like us, Pete & Mary’s is back open now we’re at COVID Level 2. Their busy cafe near our store on Queen St is a great spot for a bite and a coffee.
Now you can try their fantastic Lamb Potato Top Pie at your place. Call in for some lamb mince and you’re away with this simple and delicious dish that’ll be a family fav any night of the week.
Pete & Mary’s Potato Top Pies
- 500gm premium Lamb Mince
- 1 brown onion
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups plain flour
- 200gm softened butter
- 3 large potatoes (Agria)
- Butter Cream or milk
- Grated cheese
- In a large pot, saute sliced onions for 5 mins, add lamb mince, then saute till browned.
- Add diced carrot and cover (just) with water and cook for 5 mins on medium heat. Add peas and coof for another 5 minutes.
- Thicken to your liking with flour (or rice flour).
- Season with salt and pepper, then allow to cool completely.
- 200gm of butter into 3 cups of flour plus 1 tsp of salt and pepper.
- Mix with a knife, stirring in approx 1/4 cup of cold water till just combined.
- Once combined, shape pastry into a rectangle on the bench and fold over into a couple of layers, then chill in the fridge.
- Boil chopped potatoes,drain thoroughly then mash with a masher.
- Leave some small chunks in the mix for texture.
- Add nob of butter and enough cream to make it creamy but not sloppy.
- Roll pastry out and line in whatever tin you wish to use.
- Add lamb mince mixture on top of pastry.
- Cook at 200c for approx 15-20 minutes, or until pastry is nicely golden.
- Take out and top with mash potato mix.
- Sprinkle over with grated cheese and paprika, then grill in oven for 5 minutes until cheese has melted.