The quintessential Southern dish, Fried Chicken is deliciously crispy on the outside and moist in the middle, with your level of spice and heat. Now you can try it at home the way Blue’s BBQ prepares it in their fantastic restaurant in Warkworth.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
- 8 pieces of bone-in free range chicken
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
Dissolve the dry ingredients in the warmed milk, then add any flavor enhancers you might have at hand e.g. a bay leaf, some herbs like thyme or rosemary, some onion, or fresh lemon.
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp pepper
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp dry garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon thyme, ground
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Place chicken in the brine solution overnight or for at least 4 hours
- Add water to cover if necessary
- Heat deep-fry oil to 160C
- Remove the chicken from the brine and shake them in the dry ingredients
- Cook chicken for between 5-8minutes depending on the piece.
- Internal temp should read 75C with a thermometer
While mashed potato and gravy are the obvious accompaniments, this tangy, spicy sauce is a lighter option especially if wings are your choice of chicken cut.
- 2/3 cup hot pepper sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 1 ½ tbsp white vinegar
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup of cold butter
Combine the hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt in a pot and place over medium heat.
Bring to a simmer while stirring the butter in with a whisk.
As soon as the liquid begins to bubble on the sides of the pot, remove from heat.